Understanding Medication for Anxiety and Depression – Half Day CPD course
This is a CPD course that is run as a half day online session (3.5 hours), and is relevant for all therapists who help clients with anxiety, stress and depression. Understanding medication is an important part of treatment.
The course bridges the gap between the medical approach to treating anxiety, stress and depression, and the knowledge that therapists have about treating these disorders. This can help give the therapists an insight into the severity of their clients’ conditions, give them an idea whether their clients’ symptoms may be side effects and allow them to understand client’s experience of drug withdrawal.
Most clients that therapists see have used traditional medicine first and with nearly 15% of the adult population taking anti-depressants, it could be a lot of clients that are taking these drugs. Understanding medication for anxiety and depression is crucial to their treatment.
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand the role of the neurotransmitters involved in anxiety, depression & stress
- Discuss how drug half-life & blood levels & controlled release formulations effect the individual’s treatment
- Identify the key NICE guidance relevant to treating anxiety & depression
- Describe the main drug groups used to treat each disorder
- Understand the way in which each drug group works
- Discuss the side effects of the drugs & issues relating to the cessation of treatment
- Identify how these side effects might impact therapy clients
In the Zoom session, we will guide students through the use of a number of additional resources that may be helpful to them in understanding medication.
About your Tutor: Alison Gifford
Alison is a hypnotherapist and life coach, registered with the National Council of Hypnotherapy.
She is also a pharmacist with over 30 years of experience.
In addition, she has 14 years of academic teaching experience in a School of Pharmacy. This makes her ideally placed to help therapists with understanding medication for anxiety and depression.
In addition to receiving copies of the slide handouts, a detailed desktop reference is provided (over 40 pages). We will also provide some published review papers to help you understand the latest research in areas such as the gut biome and mental health.
Phone now to reserve your place – 07960 788093